Monday March 9, 2015 – Rio to Brasilia (should have been to Bogota, Columbia to Miami)
We were up at 4:30 am to get our car to the airport at 5:30
am. Our flight leaves at 8:40 but we
aren’t sure about what traffic congestion to expect. The driver was waiting for us so we loaded up
his car – literally – and headed to the International Airport. Traffic wasn’t bad at all so we got there in
less than 30 minutes. The driver was
very talkative, especially about his disgust with the Brazilian government.
The check-in with Avianca was easy. We went to the Executive Lounge and had some
really bad coffee while we waited for our flight. At 7:30 we went to the gate. We fly from Rio to Bogota, Columbia and then
have an hour and a half layover before our flight on to Miami. Jose, the driver is meeting us there.
About 4 hours into the flight they announced that there was
a problem with the plane and we were making an emergency landing in Brasilia,
the capital of Brazil. I thought
something sounded and felt wrong with the plane. Then a “disaster” of an adventure, a comedy of miscoordination started!
We sat on the plane for a long time only to be told that the plane can’t be fixed. So we got off and onto a bus that took us to the terminal while they work on plane.
They told us lunch was available but it was a teeny, tiny sandwich and a small cup of coke.
Then they told us that we must stay overnight. The plane cannot be fixed.
We had to wait for our luggage. While Tim was waiting for the luggage, I went to talk to the ticket agent about taking another flight to Miami from Brasilia. Long story made short - we could only do that if we purchased another ticket - they won't refund for this flight.
I met Tim outside of baggage claim and immigration. And then we took a bus to the "resort" where we'll stay for the night. It was a dump. But to make matters worse, Tim got wrong bag and one of my bags is missing! The people at the front desk don't speak English. I waited to see if someone would bring my bag. I had left the other person's bag behind the front desk. When he arrived, he got his bag. I asked him if he spoke English and he did. He asked if I was "Larry". Whew. They have my bag at the airport and they are going to call him. So they will bring my bag to me tonight.
Of course they never did.
We found the restaurant while we were walking around and the dinner provided was yuck. Really bad.
The TV doesn't work. There is no AC. The floor creaks. There are noises in the hallways for hours. Tim went right to sleep but I had little sleep with the mosquitoes in the room and the dog barking outside. Plus the bed was so uncomfortable.
I hope tomorrow brings better luck traveling home.
No comments:
Post a Comment